Save lives and restore families.
Break the cycle of addiction and violence in families.
STEP2 is a private, local non-profit organization based in Reno, Nevada.
Since 1986, we have helped women who are experiencing substance use disorders participate in rehabilitation services. We understand that women experience certain barriers in obtaining services which is why our mission is to provide gender-specific supportive services to women, women with young children and expectant mothers.
STEP2 was founded on the principle that pregnant and parenting women should not have to choose between being a parent and receiving substance use disorder treatment and we believe that a continuum of care model should encompass multiple steps to reach and maintain sobriety.
While having children is not a requirement to access treatment at STEP2, approximately 75% of our clients are mothers. STEP2 serves women and children together as a unit for recovery rather than individually. Most of our women are single heads of households, struggling with both addiction and poverty, and caring for dependent children with little family or social support.
Our year-long program includes residential inpatient services at our 20-bed residential facility, outpatient services and transitional housing as well as wraparound services including case management, medical care referrals and coordination, childcare assistance, parenting education, transportation assistance, domestic violence advocacy and education, and on-site mental health assessment, therapy and medication assistance.
Every woman should have the support they seek during their journey to sobriety and STEP2 is here to help.
When a woman is ready to leave STEP2, she is clean and sober, gainfully employed, and she has learned life skills that will allow her to break free from patterns and environments that perpetuated addiction to create and maintain a better life for herself and her children.
STEP2 is a 501 (c)(3) organization started in 1986.
STEP2 was the first substance abuse treatment facility in Nevada to offer a safe place for women to re-unify with their children.
Because of the scope of services offered, length of program and community partnerships, STEP2’s success rate remains higher than the national average.
- STEP2’s average success rate is higher than the national average.
STATISTICS (view our 2022 By the Numbers)
- The average age of a woman in treatment at STEP2 is 34.
- Women stay in treatment for an average of 9-15 months.
- Approximately 200 women seek treatment each year. In 2022, STEP2 served 197 women and 176 children.
- On average, 8% of clients are pregnant upon admission to STEP2. In the past five years, 100% of babies born into the program were born drug free.
- 87% of STEP2’s clients report a family history of substance abuse, 79% of those families report a history of alcoholism.
Women find their way to STEP2 through many different sources. In 2022, our number one referral source was actually women self-admitting with no referral. Our number two source was the court system and number three was CPS referrals.
Grant funding (Federal, State and Washoe County) is STEP2’s largest revenue source at approximately 65%. An additional 20% comes from our fundraising events and 15% from private donations and Foundations.
Less than one percent of STEP2’s revenue comes from the clients themselves and potential clients are never turned away due to inability to pay for services.
STEP2 provides holistic care to clients by providing many services including but not limited to:
- Substance Abuse Treatment (inpatient and outpatient)
- Residential & Transitional Housing
- Intensive Case Management
- Access to Medical Care
- Trauma-Informed Care
- Mental Health Services
- Domestic Violence Intervention
- Prevention & Advocacy
- Job Placement Assistance
- Childcare Assistance
- Parenting Education
- Nutrition Education
- Psychosocial Education
- Transportation Assistance
- Access to Community Services
- IRS Certification of 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Status
- State of Nevada Sales Tax Exemption
- 2019-2020 Form 990
- Audited Financials June 30, 2022
STEP2 INTERVIEWS & IN THE NEWS
- December 13, 2022: STEP2 Accepts 4,700th Client by 2 News
- November 8, 2022: A Conversation with Mari Hutchinson (STEP2) by Hope, NV Podcast
- September 1, 2022: Sheila Poco appointed president of STEP2 board of directors by Northern Nevada Business Weekly
AWARDS & CERTIFICATIONS